Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Bees!

I've been interested in beekeeping for a few years now and this year I decided to start my own hives.  I attended two seminars, read one book, and joined a local beekeeping club over the last couple of months.  Here is my first hive, some assembly required!
 
Putting together the frames.  These are what the bees use to build their comb and store honey, pollen, and brood (baby bees).
 
The boxes that hold the frames had to be painted after assembly.
 
The big day!  Robert, a local beekeeper, sold me two starter hives and installed them into my larger hives.
 
These ladies seem to be enjoying their new home.  The jar is filled with sugar water as a food source while the bees are settling in.
 
Both hives are set up in the garden.  The one on the left we purchased and Matthew made the one on the right.  We won't get any honey this year but hopefully next year both hives will be strong enough to start producing.

No comments:

Post a Comment