Thursday, November 30, 2017

Thanksgiving

This year we spent Thanksgiving in Florida with my mom's family.  Mom (Grandma Sue) flew down to Savannah the Friday before and left the Tuesday after.  It was so nice to have extra help again!  We drove to Ruskin, FL on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving to try and avoid some of the traffic.  It was still a long travel day and the girls were very cranky by the end of the trip.  Matthew and I rented an Airbnb near the family so that we wouldn't bother anyone with the babies.  It was the perfect place to stay and we told the couple that own the place that we'd like to stay with them every time we visit!
 
The girls got to meet so many new family members and they were quite well behaved for the whole visit.  They sat quietly in their dresses with my Grandpa for a long photo shoot one afternoon.  Here he is with his first great grandbabies.
 
And a four generation photo with myself and my mom.
 
We also got a photo of my Grandpa with all of his daughters, granddaughters, and great granddaughters!
 
My step-grandma Sharon (Gigi) is already spoiling these girls rotten!
 
My Aunt Cindy giving Elsie a bottle.
 
Uncle Bill (Aunt Cindy's husband) with Elsie.
 
My cousin Andrew (Aunty Cindy & Uncle Bill's son) also holding Elsie.
 
 
My Aunt Chris with Leonie.
 
 
My Aunt Sandy with a sleeping Elsie.
 
 
One afternoon we went for a walk around the retirement park and down the nature trail.  I enjoyed using our new carrier from Gigi.
 
The girls loved having so many people to hold and entertain them.  Here my mom reads to Elsie while Aunt Chris holds Leonie.
 
 
Matthew barely got to hold the girls with all of the family around but he did get to go off and golf with the guys one of the days.
 
On Thanksgiving we went down to the Hall for the retirement community.  Along with about 200 other people we had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner.  Gigi loved taking Elsie around and showing her off to all the neighbors.
 
And Leonie slept in Grandma Sue's arms for the whole dinner - she missed her first Thanksgiving!
 
Elsie fell asleep too at the end after a little snack for herself.
 
 
Another day Matthew and I enjoyed talking with my Grandpa about engineering topics and we were able to look through Grandpa's scrapbook of projects and family photos while he narrated.
 
On our last day in Florida we went to a local orange farm to pick oranges with the girls.  They enjoyed this trip - Elsie fell asleep with Grandma Sue and Leonie nursed most of the time with me!
 
 
Walking in the groves.
 
 
I love this photo that my Aunt Cindy took of us taking a selfie!
 
 
There weren't a lot of ripe oranges left after the holiday week but we managed to find a few.
 
 
On Saturday we headed home and stopped at our friend Louise's house for a break and a delicious brunch.  The girls did better on the way home because we made a point to get them out of the car seats more often and lay them down to stretch out.  They slept for a lot of the trip, although there was still more than enough crying!

No comments:

Post a Comment