Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Horseback Archery

Last weekend Mow and I participated in a horseback archery clinic as an early Christmas present.  I've always wanted to try shooting from my horse and this year an instructor finally came close enough for me to attend a clinic. I spent Saturday and Sunday at a farm in South Carolina (re)learning to shoot and teaching Mow to accept this new sport.  We did ground drills in the morning and then worked with the horses in the afternoon.  It took a while for Mow to be comfortable enough with the sights and sounds of the bow and arrows but once he figured it all out he was fantastic.  Here are a couple of photos I managed to get during the weekend.
 
I enjoy taking "between the ears" photos of different trail rides but this view is a little different!  There were four targets set up (made of two hay bales each) along a track down one side of the arena and that made up our practice course.
 
Mow and I waiting for our turn.
 
The instructor brought all of the archery equipment for us to use so we could try out different styles of bows and quivers.  This red bow and quiver were my favorite and I've already ordered myself a bow!
 
Walking down the track and shooting at the first target.  I never managed to shoot all four during one pass but I got close.  Speed is a little more important for this type of archery than the tournament style I'm used to!
 
 
Finally, a short video of my first attempt at shooting at the trot.  Most competitions are done at the canter (even faster!) but we aren't up to that point yet.  Maybe some day!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment