Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Years

Matthew and I made a quick trip to Ruskin, FL (near Tampa) for New Year's weekend to spend some time with my family.  My grandfather, grandmother, and all three of my mom's sisters plus most of their families were there.  It was great to see everyone and we had lots of fun hanging out.
 
When we first arrived we all went out to eat at on oyster bar.
 
The next day we went to the Manatee Viewing Center where my grandmother works and my aunt and grandfather volunteer.  The center was created by the Tampa Electric Company (TECO) and is a free place to go and see manatees during the winter.  The power plant puts warm water into the bay and manatees congregate there to stay warm. It wasn't very cold the day that we went so most of the manatees were farther out in the bay feeding.
 
The power plant.


 

Matthew and I with my cousins Adam and Rosie by the nature trail.
 
One of the manatees.  We also saw lots of fish and birds.  The sharks and rays often leap out of the water in the bay.
 
After the viewing center, Matthew played shuffleboard with some of the family while I went birding with others.
 
 
We added a few life-birds to my aunt's list.
 
Hanging out at my grandparents'.
 
We spent the evening eating and going to the hot tub.  Here my cousin and I are coloring while waiting for dinner.
 
Grandpa showed us his Rudolph set up for the golf cart.  He takes it in the annual golf cart Christma parade around the park.  We missed the parade, but here is a photo from an aunt.
 
Before we left on the third day, Matthew went golfing with the guys while I did a puzzle with some of the girls.  We also stopped at a fish store on the way home (they are way nicer than around here!) and I bought a couple of new corals for my tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment