Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Around the House

Over the past few weeks, the rain and my limp have slowed our progress around the house.  Thing are just now starting to pick back up as I am a little more mobile, our rental houses are in check, and the weather has been a little nicer.


We put up the gates for the horses stalls a few weeks ago.  Now we just need to install better latches as they have already learned how to let themselves out!


In order to do any work outside, I had to come up with a way to keep my foot and boot clean and dry.  After searching online and finding nothing closer than Hong Kong, I remembered the plastic bags that our sheets came in.  They are the perfect size and are a little more durable than a regular plastic bag!  (Even if it does look a little silly...)

The first thing I did with my increased mobility was clean the horses pen little by little.  I can still only walk around for a little bit before I get tired (its harder than you think only balancing on your heel!) and my foot starts to swell and throb.  But at least it is better than being inside all of the time.  I'm still not sure when I will be going back to work since my job is about 90% on my feet.


I also managed to weed the flower beds, they were surprisingly overgrown for only 2 months of neglect!  I was able to sit and wheel alongside the beds using a "scoot and do" for most of the weeding.


While I have been cleaning and doing a little painting inside, Matthew has been working hard on the rabbit shed.  We want to expand our rabbit production and need a better set up before we purchase any more rabbits.


Here the poles have beams and rafters.


Then Matthew put down plywood for the base of the roof.


And added felt that will soon be covered with shingles.  Then we will suspend the rabbit cages about three feet off the ground under the middle of the overhang as well as add power and shelving above the cages.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you guys are keeping busy - especially for someone recovering from surgery. The horse gates are so pretty. I'm sure the hourses are happy to be with you - and that you are getting out to see them more than in the past few weeks.

    Love, Emily

    ReplyDelete