Monday, August 26, 2013

Salsa

This weekend we continued to work on the rental house and did a few things around our house (nothing really picture worthy though!).  On Saturday we stopped by the farmer's market and whole foods market to buy some ingredients to make salsa.  My mom has been providing us with salsa for the last few years but it is time for me to start making my own.  I started with her recipe and tweaked it a little to fit our tastes and so that I could freeze it instead of canning.
 
Here are all of the fresh ingredients from the market.
 
I used various chopping methods for different ingredients.  The hot peppers and onions were hand chopped while the other peppers, tomatillos, and cilantro were put in the food processor (after this photo).
 
I used my juicer (a wedding present!) to juice the tomatoes and remove the skins.
 
After adding a few more things I let it simmer on the stove for about an hour.
 
 
Finally, after it cooled I packed it away in freezer jars for storage.  Preliminary taste tests indicate that I may have added too many hot peppers, but we can just use it sparingly, which means I won't have to make as much!

3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! And you sure won't run out soon.

    Love, Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I almost thought this would be a post about dancing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Harald - I also thought it was going to be salsa dancing. But this salsa is exciting too. Emily

    ReplyDelete