Sunday, March 12, 2017

Rabbits - Warning, slightly graphic

We recently dispatched several rabbits and have made some improvements in the process.  If you are squeamish or don't want to know more, please skip ahead to the next post!
 
First, we bought a new hanger to replace the old ropes we used to use.  The metal one is sturdy and very easy to use.  Plus, we mounted a bucket below to catch the scraps.
 
Next, I've been working on using more parts of the rabbit so that we have less waste.  I read about someone using the dehydrated ears as dog treats so I gave that a shot.  Of course, we don't have a dog so these will go to someone else's lucky pooch!
 
I also saved all of the fat from the 13 rabbits we butchered.  Some were fairly fatty so I ended up with a lot!   Here it is before starting to render.
 
After many hours and two days of watching over the cooking, the fat was finally all rendered.  The finished oil is on the left and the "cracklings" are on the right.  We technically could have eaten these, but we weren't feeling that adventurous.
 
I plan on using this for a new soap recipe I found online.  I'll take more photos when I get around to making it.  We can also use it as a replacement for butter in recipes although it does have a little different odor to it.





No comments:

Post a Comment